Category: community

To My Non-Vaxing Friends

14329622976_2ae10f5741_z

Dear friend, You know I’m down with the crunchy. Or the granola, or the hippie, or whatever you want to call outside-the-mainstream, baby-knows-best attachment parenting. I can nurse a baby in a sling while simultaneously pushing a shopping cart of…

Playground Pariahs: Moms to Avoid

by Carl Wycoff, https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Sometimes, amidst the coffee cups and barf-stained yoga pants at the playground, you meet your mom BFF. And sometimes, well – sometimes you meet crazy. In the sleep-deprived haze of parenthood, it can be hard to tell kooky from run-the-other-way.…

Peter Pan and the Roots of Racism

It seems trivial now. Amid the ugly roil of Ferguson, the choking brutality of our police forces, the I-can’t-breathe, serve-and-protect, hands-up-don’t-shoot rhetoric of an increasingly angry protest movement, talking about Peter Pan seems faintly ridiculous, if not outright offensive. “Let…

What I’ve Learned as an ADHD Mama

I have ADHD – the inattentive kind. That means I didn’t spend elementary school leaping desks and yelling out answers; instead, I sat dreamily in the corner, concocting elaborate stories with my unicorn erasers and making what everyone called “careless…

The P-Word: It’s Not Okay

Sacagawea_dollar_obverse

In 2008, America released the redesign of the $1 coin: a gold dollar depicting Shoshone woman Sacagawea, the famous Native American who guided Lewis and Clark on their journey east of the Mississippi. On her back, Sacagawea wears her…

trade it

You’re too poor to churn wraps. Or you don’t want to waste the time purchasing, or you want to share the love with friends, or you know you’ll never ever ever get your grubby paws on the highly-sought-after, legacy-only, unicorn-mane-and-elf-toehair…

10 Ways for Parents to Fight Racism

I grew up in the 80s, near a Philadelphia still cratered from the MOVE bombings. Reading Comprehension meant “Famous Black Americans,” Mary McLeod Bethune and George Washington Carver. There were Black History Month Celebrations and Harriet Tubman lectures. Coretta Scott…